Previous Artifacts - September 2010
Haegle's Store 100th Anniversary
This year marks the 100th Anniversary of the family owned Haegle's Harness Store. Began in 1910, the Haegle Harness Store first opened at 215 North Main Avenue by Charles J. Haegle. Charles Haegle first started working in Sioux Falls as a harness maker for Lyman Gilbert before he opened his own store. Charles managed his store until his death in 1959 at the age of 92. Upon his death, the store's ownership and management remained within the family.
The Haegle's store had a number of locations through its history, moving across the street in the mid 1940s and to Phillips Ave. in the early 1960s. A second store was added on the west side of town on West 41st Street in 1973. No matter where the store moved, there was one notable feature that has always remained on display in the store, the paper-mâché horse purchased by Charles Haegle. Charles Haegle purchased the horse in Chicago, and it is still a favorite artifact in the store. Today, the store and the horse are owned by Charles' great granddaughter Michelle Jackson and her husband Dave.
The picture of the Haegle Store was taken in 1968, when the store was still located at 226 North Phillips Avenue. This photo is one of many photos in our collection taken of downtown Sioux Falls that same year. The Community Development Office donated these photos that had been taken before urban renewal of downtown.