The Siouxland Heritage Museums have extensive manuscript and archival holdings. The foundation of these holdings are the papers of Senator Richard Franklin Pettigrew, who, upon his death in 1926, bequeathed his documents, house, museum, and collection to the City of Sioux Falls. Since 1926, the archival collections have expanded considerably in size and scope. They also aid in supporting the Siouxland Heritage Museums’ mission to collect, preserve, and interpret the region’s history.
This guide contains a list of the manuscript collections housed at the Irene Hall Museum Resource Center, along with a brief overview of each collection. Since the museums continue to receive new donations, not all collections held by the Siouxland Heritage Museums are listed here. In addition, many oversized items, such as posters, blueprints, maps, and photographic collections are also available to researchers. Please contact the Collections Department at 605.978.7016 for further information or to make an appointment.
To display the search/find window pane, use “Ctrl+F” to keyword search the PDF.