Hamilton Exam Table
The Hamilton Manufacturing Company of Two Rivers, Wisconsin, first opened in 1880 as a builder of wood type for printing equipment. In later years, they expanded their business and began to manufacture dental equipment. In 1930, at a dental meeting, the concept to add a line of medical examination furniture for doctors was imagined, and in 1931, the company began manufacturing medical equipment. It proved to be an instant hit with doctors across the country.
This exam table, treatment cabinet and waste receiver on display in Tonics & Tools of Medicine was part of the “Nu-tone” suite of examining room equipment purchased by Dr. John McGreevy around 1950. The set is made of walnut wood with black accents. A patented “Hide-A Roll” attachment under the exam table’s cushion provided each patient with a clean sheet of covering to lie on. The treatment cabinet features a glass top that opens to reveal storage for bottles or medicines. No appointment is needed to see the museum’s newest exhibit focusing on early Sioux Falls medicine and the tools used by its practitioners, so please feel free to walk on in and scope it out!