The New Theater
Built in 1884 by E. A. Sherman, the Sherman Block was an important building in early Sioux Falls. For many years it housed the post office and other government offices. By the late 1890s, what is now the Old Courthouse Museum was built and housed the offices of Minnehaha County. The Federal Building contained the Federal Courts and the Post Office.
In 1897, architect Wallace Dow drew plans to remodel the building into a theater. Known as The New Theater, the building added a third story to the existing structure. It served as one of Sioux Falls’ premier theaters until it was demolished in 1914 to make way for the new Security Bank Building. The images seen here show the building as it looked in the 1880s, and the plans for its conversion to a theater. To learn more about this theater, and many other early theaters in Sioux Falls, be sure to come down and see the newest exhibit at the Old Courthouse Museum, Theaters: Stage to Screen.