Innovators made efforts to motorized bicycles in the late 19th century. By the turn of the century, companies like Indian, Harley-Davidson, and Excelsior were making their own motorcycles. Not long after their invention, people used motorcycles for leisure, racing, and for military purposes.
Sioux Falls had its own motorcycle community by 1910. Fred “the Fixer” Burkey, owner of Power City Repair, sold many different brands of motorcycles. Robert Weber sold Indian motorcycles from his bicycle repair shop. Martin Lane brought Harley-Davidsons to Sioux Falls with his delivery service. Informal groups formed, and a police auxiliary force made up of officers on bikes was created by the 1930s.
Local motorcycle enthusiasts took to racing quickly. Coats Track near present-day Southeastern Avenue and 26th Street was one of the earliest known racetracks in Sioux Falls. By the 1950s, the William H. Lyon Fair Grounds held motorcycle races that attracted thousands of onlookers.
Sioux Falls still has many motorcycle enthusiasts and collectors. They still collect and ride historic, vintage, and more modern motorcycles. They helped this exhibit become a reality by loaning motorcycles from their collection to the museums.